In 1997, Fred and Beth Nichols purchased the Barboursville Estes-Sparks Hotel. Built around 1900, the Hotel was a landmark building for the village, which had gone from hotel to boarding house to apartments, as the railroad depot closed and the village was bypassed by highway expansions. Beth had always wanted to run a gallery, and with the growth of the wine industry around Barboursville, it seemed possible. In 1998 they held their first show, “A Celebration of the Landscape,” featuring the work of over 20 Virginia artists. Since opening, Nichols Gallery Annex has exhibited the work of over 50 artists from the mid-Atlantic region.
Open seven days a week by chance or appointment and Thurs. to Sat. 11am to 5pm, Sunday 1pm to 5pm. January and February by chance or appointment only.